Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Mujeres de Bodega



This is our chapel

Today is Monday, our first day of work back in the capital city, Tegucigalpa.  I got up really early to post my blog because I was having trouble because so many people were on the internet the night before.


Going to chapel



 
 
That would be Terry with the bald head.  You see Lily, our translator, and Bev.
 
 
 

Breakfast was served from 6:30-7:30, Devo was at 8:00 and we were supposed to head out on the buses by 8:30.  This group of about 40 is small, but it has been great because we are all getting to know each other.  We have a good mixture of people from high school to middle age+.  We have a large group from Brandon, Florida, as well as groups from Mobile, Alabama, Pennsylvania, Northern Louisiana, and a few people like me who aren’t in a group from Sarasota, Florida, and Massachusetts.

 
This is me inside the bodega.  Diane and I filled bags for new mothers.  We put a stuffed animal in the bag.




 

 

I say that because, when we got back to the Mission House last night we soon learned we were sharing the campus with at least one other group from West Virginia.  Plus, we have another team coming on Tuesday, so it appears there may be as many as 200 people on campus.  It’s all good, but we may have to be patient when we have to stand in lines for meals.  I’m not complaining though!!

102 bags filled with bottles, baby clothes, toiletries, blankets and anything else we thought would be appropriate.
 

 

Today we had one group visiting Hospital Escuela.  Later, they would be working with a church that was planted by another church here, Los Pinos. Ten acres were donated and it is called El Diamante and this church is experiencing amazing growth.  We were told that there were 9 baptisms on Sunday!!!!  That isn’t something you hear about every day. 

 
 
This is the view from the back of Villa Gracia.
 
 
 

The other group would be digging footers and mixing concrete at Casa de MI Esperanza, a children’s home that we support.  I figured that everyone would want to go to the hospital, so I was prepared to do some heavy work; especially we had several of our men start feeling sick. Diane had also started having an upset stomach and when that happens, you want to be close to the bathroom.  We got permission to work at the bodega. 

 

A few years ago when we were visiting the maternity ward, we thought it would be neat to bring the new mother baby clothes. The mothers have to bring their own linen, and often you will see them lying on the rubber mattress.  The new babies often only have a t-shirt on.  So, the last few years, I have been going to Goodwill and buying baby clothes.  You can find sleepers that look new and they are only $1-2.  We also give them soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste, combs, shampoo and other toiletries.  This year, the Spanish teacher at my school, Marissa Aqueron, translated the plan of salvation for me.  I will add a copy of that to the goody bag.

 

We worked about 5 hours and assembled 102 baby bags.  They are all set and ready to be taken when our group goes back to the hospital.

 

Right now, I’m taking advantage of this quiet place and typing out my blog.  Diane and I are expecting to be picked up around 4 and we’ll head back up the mountain for dinner and evening devotional.

 

Hasta luego!!!

 PS: This was not an exciting day for pictures.  Stay tuned, tomorrow I will post pictures from my first house build!

PJ  xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment