Thursday, June 25, 2015

Once, twice, and three's a charm, House #3


Each night Terry tells us what the next day's jobs are going to be.  We had gotten a large team that usually sponsors houses, so I felt sure they would be building some of their houses. I was ready to rest my body and do some other work, but not he announced  that we were building my third houses.

There is so much to be done, you just can't complain.  The Keys group had raised money to build two classrooms in El Diamante (that was the community were all of the baptisms took place last year)  It's in a different area of the city.  It is high and flat like a mesa.  Also a group would go back to the hospital and visit an adult special needs orphanage.

Breakfast is always at 7, devo is usually at 8 and we usually head out for the day around 8:45.  During that time, you have to get all of your gear packed for the day. (lunch, water, hat, eye protection, rain jacket, anything else you might need)  We have started the habit of making a housewarming gift for the families who get new homes.  I usually buy a few household things back home and carry them down in my suitcase, but as you know I don't have lots of extra room.  Jenny Lovell comes from Western Hills church of Christ in Nashville.  They bring tons of stuff and they were generous enough to share with me.  I was able to fill a huge bin with lots of great stuff. (Spanish Bible, linens, blankets, iron skillet & much more)

do you know what this is

(We got almost all of the mud and dirt off by scrapping and wiping the walls and floors!)

Today we were building back up the mountain again close to Le Tigre National Park.  As I said before it is rural. lush and you don't see as much of the litter and trash.

When you go to a build site there are a few questions you are always wondering. 
1.  Was the lumbar delivered to the site?
2. How hard will the hike be to the site?  (It is almost never easy.)

Today, we had a short steep hike that wasn't too bad.  We always have to carry our tools to the site and for those of us who are more mature, a shover or post hole digger can help you stay on your feet.
We found out the lumbar had been delivered, but when we got there we found that it had all been thrown in on top of the site, in a big pile and all mixed up.

WE couldn't work on the foundation untill all of the lumbar was moved and sorted.  Everyone chipped in to do that.  Oh, I forgot to add, it was raining.  We don't stop working when it rains.  Also, when we got the wood moved, it was very muddy.  There was no way to get around the mud.

(Most of the day was overcast.)

That was the main excitement for the day I guess.  All of these factors made our total build time take a few hours longer, but we still got finished in 5-6 hours.  Needless to say, the young family was thankful.  In fact, the lady used maybe the only English she knew to say "Thank you!"

We all ran to get in the showers as soon as we got back.  I had just got out and had rested maybe 20 minutes when one of our leaders announced that two containers got in and everyone had to go help unload it!!  There were several groans & I know I was the one groaning.  That was a long job and it made us late getting back for dinner.In fact, it was so late that we skipped devo and went straight to bed.  

(This is Jonni in the white shirt.  He is a Honduran young man who has been helping us many years.  He has really learned a lot of English & he is amazing at building homes.  Here he is trimming the door.)

Please continue to pray for our safety. Everything is going really well, but we have to be very careful on these job sites.  We always have a large group in a small space.  There's people hammering, boards being lifted over your head, chainsaws flying, you get the picture!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment