Saturday, June 18, 2011

Sat. Fun/Counting Down the Days......

Saturday, June 18: 

I had originally told the manager of the Saturday Market that I wouldn't be there.  I contacted him to see if there was any openings left (I hated to pass up the $$ I would make!), but he said he was full.  Well, I checked my email late Friday and he had emailed me back to say he did have an opening.  Nick and I had already made plans, so I said thanks, but no thanks!!!



Well, I'm glad I said no because when I went to weigh at WW around 7:30, the sky looked like it had a black blanket over it.  Around 8:00, the bottom fell out.  I'm sure the market was set up, but then had to pack it up and go.  Needless to say, I was glad that I didn't have to deal with that.  :) 




You might be wondering about my weigh-in.  Well, I lost a pound.  That's great, but last week I was up .8 a pound!! :(  I WON'T GIVE UP!!


Nick and I had breakfast at IHop, then I had a light workout.  (I haven't missed a day this week!)  I went back home because we had tickets for a Cirque de Soleil show at Bridgestone Arena.  We had an early dinner at PF Changs, dessert at a nearby Starbucks and then on to the show.  The show was fun, but it wasn't near as good as the one I saw in Vegas.  Bridgestone is so large, it didn't lend it self to good viewing.  We still had a great time.

Dynamite shrimp at PF Changs







 Walking in the rain to Bridgestone Arena.




 The umbrella came in handy!




Inside Bridgestone Arena





 Waiting for the show to begin















Getting ready for Honduras:

I decided to tackle the job of packing all of the donated items that I'm taking down.  We always use our second suitcases to take items for the Honduran people. (otc medicines, toiletries, small toys, school supplies, etc.)


I have to get all of this into one suitcase and it can't weigh over 50 pounds!!!







I unpackaged 69 toothbrushes and put them all in a baggie.  I unboxed other things too, so that everything would fit into my suitcase.  I was successful, but I'm very concerned that it will weigh more than 50 lbs.  If it weighs more than that, I will be charged an additional fee.  I'm planning on going by UPS on Monday to weigh it.  Let's keep our fingers crossed!!!! (Spellcheck doesn't like unpackaged and unboxed!!)





I'm happy because I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                                          I'm always green!  Here's my sorted piles: trash & cardboard to recycle.


Check out this blog of a young lady who has just gotten back from Honduras.  Her thoughts say it all!!!!



·         It has been a few days since I arrived back in the US. I wish I could explain the extreme emptiness I feel now that I’m not in Honduras. I talk to other TORCHers daily, and all we can seem to say is how much we miss each other and how much we want to be back. I’ve looked at my Honduras albums on Facebook about 8 times each since I posted them. It’s just so sad. I’d rather be there than here any day of the week.

One of the things that you inevitably go through when you get home from a place like Honduras is hurting for the people you saw there. Like, as US citizens, we can go on missions and stay among the people of Honduras and work with them, then pack up and leave after two weeks. But as for the people there, they don’t get to leave. That is their life. The children still have to walk around their villages without shoes. The majority of the homes will still be made of sticks, tarp, and mud. There will still be prostitutes trying to make a daily pay. The girls at the detention center will still be bullied and ordered around. There will still be hunger.

While in Honduras, we talked about all of this as a group many times. It’s so hard to feel like you’re making a difference when there is still so much poverty. But while there is poverty, there is the truth that God put each of there for a reason. Jeremiah 29:11 tells us “For I know the plans I have for you…” We all were in Honduras for a reason. Each of us made a difference. I heard so many stories from those in our group who made such a huge impact on others. My friends Erin and Savannah got to see a boy they had met exactly one year ago, and he still remembered them by name when he saw them this year. Erin and Savannah clearly made an impact on little Alexi. Jack Jack gave a little boy the boxers right off him when he saw that the boy had none of his own. The Woodard family got to spend time with two kids, Christian and Johanna, that they are sponsoring. Christian and Johanna refer to the Woodards as their “GODparents”. These are just a few examples of how the TORCH team acted as the hands and feet of Jesus.

We came to Honduras, striving to do the work of the Lord, and now that we’re gone, we can only persistently pray for the people we encountered. Just like God has a plan for us, he has a plan for them.



She's written more and you might want to use this link to read the rest of her thoughts.  She says what everyone feels after they have been to Honduras!




http://lettersfromhonduras.tumblr.com/



Well, I will be getting up early, early on Thursday, so you may not hear from me until I reach my destination in Honduras.  I have lots to do this week.  Keep me and my fellow Torchers in your prayers.  Don't forget our team's blog.  The link is below. They haven't posted any pictures yet, but if everything goes as planned, I will post updates and pictures daily!!!!


xoxoPJ





1 comment:

  1. Torch's blogspot: www.childrenoftheking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete