Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Sick ninos & mas comida (Sick kids and more food)

Wednesday we had two main work groups:

1.  Dump visit/Painting classroom at El Diamante

2.  Hospital visit & Food distribution at El Diamante

Oh, there actually was another group:

Building a home at El Diamante.  This was earmarked as Jenny Lovell's house build and a bunch of her church members and friends worked on that house.


Jo Dawn's daughter, Cheyenne and I assembled the baby clothes I had bought at Goodwill in gallon size baggies with things for the family. (toothbrushes, soap, toothpaste, razors and other things we could find)   A group of about 20 stayed back a little while at the mission house to get our things together.  We also formed a bucket brigade to get about 250 food bags on the back of the bus.



My plan (which isn't always God's plan) was to go visit the new mothers at the hospital and hand out the bags we had made, but when we got there there was a Honduran group of young girls.  It was apparent that they were from a private bilingual school because we spoke to them in English.  They said they were going to see the new mothers.  They had diapers, pads, a blue baby gown and some other things.


Our group started on some other floors.    My group of about 10 went to the orthopedic floor.  The emphasis is always to try to make a relationship, not just hand them stuff.  I was very proud of Cheyenne and myself.  We went in a room of about 4 kids and a few families.  (Some don't have a mother or family member there!!!)    We spent about 45 minutes in that room.  Somehow (because I thought I was going to new mothers)  we didn't have many things for kids.  We did have just enough for that room.  (See photos)


(hospital selfie)


Cheyenne did a great job of trying to read to the little guys.  We had a book about Jonah that was in English and Spanish.  There was a boy who was 11.  The older kids don't seem as happy to see us.  I feel it's because they are more aware of there situation.  I had picked up something to give.  Do you remember color by numbers?? This was a picture that you added stickers by numbers.  He and I put that together.  Then he read the book to me about Jonah in Spanish.  After that, Cheyenne and I didn't have anymore things to give.



We went to a really large ward where all of the children had been in some type of accident.  There was man pins sticking out of the injured bone.  One of the nurses on our team said that we don't use that method in the US.  I basically walked around and talked to them in my limited Spanish. (Honestly it's gotten much better.  Even some of the "newbies" will say, "You speak Spanish don't you."  I say, "Solo un pocito!!)










On this same floor, we found a room that had about 6 babies.  From what we could tell they were babies that had been born with different issues or handicaps.  Luckily, we had baby bags for those families.  As I walked around I would ask the families if they wanted me to pray for their child.  They always said yes.  I would pray in English and after I was finished in English I would say, "En el nombre de Cristo".  In the name of Christ Amen.  Maybe someday I can learn a Spanish prayer!!!  Before we left, I even overheard Cheyenne praying with a child.  She is one awesome 15 year old girl!!!





We had spent probably an hour and a half or more visiting and we went back to find the rest of our group.  By then it was almost time to leave.  A few of our group had gone upstairs to the new mothers, but we decided not to deliver the rest of our baby bags today. (Since those others had already visited.)




(This Pedro our night guard at Villa Gracia.  He often works all night and then goes with us.  As far as I know, he only gets a food bag for his family.  We have heard he needs new glasses that cost $200.  We aren't supposed to give money, but we are checking with our leaders to find out more information. Unfortunately, there is stories of hardship wherever we go!






We ate our lunch on the way to El Diamante.  If you remember, that is the area where we went to church on Sunday.  El Diamante is like a mesa or table on top of a mountain.  That means it's flat and very windy with beautiful views.  A much easier place to hand out food than the last time.  We also eventually met up with our house build team and our dump team.  The food team successfully handed out all of our food bags too!!!  Thank you to all who gave donations.  Those small bags will feed a family of four for a month!





Later that evening I was asking Cheyenne about her day and she said, "It was okay."  I thought she meant that she didn't like it as well as building, but she told her mom how sad it was.  I guess as an adult, I have become hardened to what I see there.  I was so impressed with Cheyenne that she was able to interact with the young kids, but put her emotions aside!!  






(Torch has built many homes in El Diamante.)



Below you will see one of our sweet bus drivers, Marlon.












Jenny Taylor









No comments:

Post a Comment