Friday, July 10, 2015

Make me a Servant.....Thursday

It is our last day for the gospel campaign at Purral church of Christ.  With each day we have grown closer and closer to our brothers and sisters here.




Today  Diane had planned a surprise for our sisters here in Costa Rica.  We started the ladies' class by singing "Make Me a Servant" and then Diane said we would be studying about Serving.  She then read, 

Matthew 20:26-28


27 and whoever wants to be first must be your slave-- 
28just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."




Then Diane said something like,  "You have served us this week with humbleness and love and now we want to serve you.  We want to treat you with a spa day."


We set up stations and we spent the next 2 hours pampering the ladies who had done so much for us during the week.



We had:

Foot wash/Sugar scrub

Rinse/Massage with special foot gel

Shoulder/Head Massage

Manicure/Pedicure





I had also brought some of my Doterra essential oil blends.  I had Kris our translator (the preacher's sister) explain how they worked.  I had them each smell Elevation, Serenity, and Balance.  They picked the one that "spoke" to them.  I put some on their neck, as well put a drop on their hands.  They rubbed their hands together and smelled it.  



Everyone loved the spa day.  All of our ladies participated, both young and old.  I did the oils and then was just running around helping as I was needed.  As you know, coffee is very big here.  There's is always a huge pot brewed at the church.  I then got the idea to get coffee and cookies for the ladies.  They loved that too!  As we were finishing and cleaning up, Teresa Denney shared a poem she had read before:


(I actually think she may have combined several things.)




Several of the CR women were moved to tears as they expressed the gratitude.  It was a touching and humbling experience.  It is amazing out love and emotion can be communicated even with a language barrier.  (Of course, we did have a translator.  Believe it or not, the more you are around people that are speaking Spanish, the more you can understand.)



After lunch, we again had our afternoon work.  (VBS at the children's home, painting & door knocking) I decided I would go door knocking for a third time.  We got out as a group, but split up in smaller teams.  I worked with Byron, a young but mature Christian.  It was great working with him and getting to know him better.  He is planning to marry the preacher's sister and eventually take over preaching at the church when the current preacher leaves for TX.  (He is going to a 2 year Bible college.)



I'm running out of time & we are heading for a Bible retreat at a local Bible camp.  I'm not sure if we will have wifi.  I may not be able to post this weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment