Saturday, June 28, 2014

Even the birds speak Spanish!


I’m sitting here in the courtyard of our hotel enjoying the fact that it hasn’t gotten too hot yet.  I come out every day because I’m an early riser and I don’t want to disturb my roommates.  It’s so neat to feel the early morning breeze and here the birds chirping.  Today, I’m seeing what appears to be a common looking brown bird like we have back home, but its call was different.  Hmmm…..even the birds speak Spanish!  J
morning devo




 

 

 

 

You often here other animal sounds and I found out a noise that I thought was some kind of cricket, was actually a gecko.  We seem them all around the hotel.  For some reason, we have also seen several little frogs in our shower.  They must come up through the drain because I took one outside and then the next day there was another one!

 

 

On Friday, the plan was to serve the community of Agua Agria by giving the 150 people in the community a food bag and clothes.  I had been very concerned since we left Teguc because we didn’t have room to bring all of the clothes in our warehouse.  Usually we don’t have enough small men’s clothes, so we tried to get enough for them and bring all of our shoes.  We ran out of room in the truck, so we brought what we could.  I’ve told many of my friends, but the men here are much shorter than North Americans.  None of them wear over a size large shirt or a size 10 shoe, so many of the donated clothes won’t work.

 

 

By the time we reached the village, as always, there was already a line of people waiting to start.  Diane and I went to the classroom to prepare for her Ladies’ Bible lesson while the rest of the team either organized clothes and shoes, broke down the bulk food, brought up rocks for the foundation of the outside construction, or played with children.  Our multi-talented Pat Gutherie installed ceiling fans in the church.
This is the preacher's son that was born right after we left last year.  He enjoyed putting the Bibles in the suitcase. 

 

Diane’s lesson today was about prayer.  She had purchased about 50 Spanish Bibles and had the ladies of her congregation write their names and a prayer request in the Bible.  She included a picture of the lady in the Bible with her name.  The plan was to give each lady a Bible and we would give them a card and have them write back to the lady in the USA.  I prepared the cards by putting the names on them.




 

The lesson went really well.  Diane did a great job and Lily Perez from Brandon, FL translated. (I believe that she is originally from Puerto Rico.)  I said a pray in English and she said one in Spanish.  The ladies loved looking at the pictures of their North American “prayer partners” and wrote notes to them.  Diane had also purchased an Instamatic camera and we took pictures of all of the ladies to add to the note.
 
 
 
 
  At the end of the lesson it started raining and I don’t mean a sprinkle, I mean a monsoon, so all of the ladies stayed there for another 45 or minutes or so.   It is interesting how you can make friends and fellowship even when you hardly speak the same language.  I got out the camera on my phone and they all loved taking “selfies” with me.  It was so dark because of the rain, they didn’t turn out well.

 

Yes, I know I look like I have jumped in a pool.  I am wet, but it was totally from sweating.  It was very humid today.  The picture is so grainy because we didn't have electricity and it was pouring down rain outside.
 
A lot of our young people enjoyed playing with the little kids.
 
 
 

Diane and I worked in the Sunday school room all day and apparently the rest of the people worked on food and clothes all day.  Every time I checked on their progress, it seemed as if the line wasn’t getting any shorter.  I had been very concerned that we didn’t bring enough clothes, but when we finally finished around 3:30, they were still giving out clothes!!

 

 

FYI:  If you ever donate clothes for Central America, here is what is needed:  Women’s blouses, skirts and dresses (nothing over a large, most need smaller than that), Women’s sandals, and low-heeled shoes size 8 or less (no high heels), Men’s pants and collared shirts (Size large or less).  Some of the women will wear pants, especially the younger ones.  Most of the adults and older children do not want t-shirts.
Our bus driver picked up another lady and her baby to hitch a ride with us.  This is Pat holding the little baby.

 

All in all, it was a good day.  I hope my thoughts are not too scattered!  Today was our last work day in Choluteca.  The plan is to go back and worship with them on Sunday morning and then we will head back to Teguc.
This is Pat, one of my good Torch friends, he has been coming about 12 years.  He can pretty much do or build anything.

 

Hasta luego!!!

 

PJ  xoxo

2 comments:

  1. your thoughts were just fine, a fine account of your process. love the pictures, they tell their own story, richly embossed with your words. enjoy the service this a.m. safe travels to Teguc. Kim Kelley

    ReplyDelete