Saturday, October 13, 2012

Arches National Park

Don't let anyone tell you that it doesn't rain in the desert.  Apparently, October has 1 inch of rain in Utah (the most of the whole year).  Our plan was to drive the 2+ hours to Moab, Utah.  The day started with a misty rain and it rained on and off for the whole trip to Moab.

Just imagine a hip, cool, Zen Gatlinburg.  That is kind of what Moab, Utah seemed like.  We looked around in the shops and I was looking for a rain poncho in particular.  It actually started pouring down while we were looking around. I actually found a rain coat that was a bargain for less than $30!!! You can see the jacket in my pictures.

Photo: Yum Yummy breakfast at the Jailhouse in Moab, UT
Lots of hippie, granola types in Moab, I love it!!!
We ate a delicious lunch/brunch at a place called The Jailhouse Cafe.  There was some history behind the name, but I didn't quite get it (to read about it in the menu).  Let me Google it right now and find out!!  Isn't technology amazing!!!!

The place only served breakfast and was a bit pricey for breakfast, but we joked that it was the first decent meal that we had all week!!   Price was a sweet town, but the restaurants were kind of mediocre.  As we sat and ate, we waited for the rain  to pass.

Armed with my new raincoat, we headed for  Arches National Park.  We were going regardless of the rain.   Check out the pictures!!!   We took a short walk to the "North and South Windows"  and then we headed for the Delicate Arch.

The Gossips


The colors were muted because of the rain.


Heading up to the "Windows"


We started on the trail as a large angry cloud came over.  As we headed up the trail it didn't look good.  I also had read the pamphlet and this was supposed to be a short trail to a viewpoint  of the "Delicate Arches".  This didn't look like a short trail!!!! 
Wolf Ranch at the head of the Delicate Arch trail


 We had trekked up a steep hill when we heard thunder and then decided it was time to head back to the car.  It was just in time because it started pouring as we hoofed it back to the car.

Nick is a little worried about that cloud.

This looks a little scary!!!

In the car, I looked at the map and realized that we had headed up a 3 mile round trip strenuous hike to the Delicate Arch, that had not been the plan.  The other trail was blocked, probably because of the heavy rain and maybe some of the paths were flooded.  Oh well, we decided it was time to head back to Salt Lake City about 4 hours away.

On the way back to the hotel we stopped at this HUGE sporting good store called Scheels.  It had a Ferris wheel and a large aquarium!


We were spending the night there(Salt Lake) so we could be close to the airport. We had an early flight Saturday morning.

We got back home around 3:00 pm and it was good to be home. We were most glad to see our only daughter, our dog, Cocoa!!! Well, Fall Break is almost over!!! It's back to the real world on Monday!!!

It's good to be back in Tennessee!

Lots of leaves have change(d) their colors since we've been gone!




She was glad to be home too!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment