Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Fear/Stress Part Deaux


Fear/Stress Pt. 2

It's Monday and my older son has flown to Kandahar and is waiting to get a flight to Kabul or Dubai.  He's a little frustrated, but the military always has priority over civilians, which means civilians often get bumped.  (That's why he got 4 additional travel days.)  He gets frustrated though!





  I decided to follow up with the theme of Fear/Stress because Sunday morning's sermon was about stress.  Coincidence????? Some people say there are no coincidences.


I would like to begin with a video that a friend/co-worker posted to their FB page today.  This friend has gotten sad news about a serious illness of a child of a family friend. I know they would appreciate prayers on this child's behalf.  I think this is a great song and very fitting to the topic.




<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qYwIzHGMP3g" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>





The Young Adult Sunday morning Bible class is studying this book.  Our minister has covered the six steps in sermons.  This past Sunday's topic dealt with stress.  Here are some more thoughts on this topic.  Thank you Brother Steve for a great sermon.





Page 149 of the book discussing the cumulative effects of stress can contribute to:  heart disease, angina, arrhythmia, hypertension, migraine headaches, ulcers, diabetes and other diseases.



The book actually discusses how families can deal with stress.  These are the things that this book recommends:
1.  Hobbies













2.  Good
 time
management
 (learn to say "No")








3. Be active
































4.  Laugh and find humor




























5.  Be Adaptable/flexible (not rigid)



6. Simplify (Don't be a perfectionist!) Boy, do I need that one!!






















7.  Eat Healthy





















8.  Refresh/restore/rest


















9.  Have a spiritual focus































10.  Let go & Let God!!!









11.  Pets


















As I mentioned in the earlier blog, worry is a type of fear and worry can turn into stress.  The more we learn about God, the more we can trust Him.  How do we learn more about Him? (Bible study, Worship, Prayer)  We all struggle, even Paul did.  Read what Paul says on the subject below.







Romans 7:15-20  15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[a] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.







From Sunday's sermon...."If you have a struggle....good, it means the devil hasn't won!!"  I like that one!  Remember that the next time you keep doing  the things you try to stop.



More from the Bible:
Philippians 4:6-8 (This scripture tells us to focus on the good things, pray, and trust God. If you can truly trust Him, you will have peace, even when you don't understand the things that are wrong in your life.)






<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AjYiEyu8Si8" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>



Michael W. Smith, "Above All"








Phil. 4:6-8

Tuesday


I'm going to let you in on a little secret.  You might figure it out on your own, but I'm going to confess anyway.....If I have a small picture, then that means that I either think I look fat or I don't like it for some other reason.  I think this was a "fashion don't"!



Update: My son got on his flight to Kabul.  When he gets there, he will get a visa and then will purchase his commercial flight to the states.  I'll just be waiting to hear when I need to pick him up at the Nashville airport!!!










Tomorrow is Groundhog's Day!!! I wonder what Mr. Groundhog will say???

My vote is for spring!!!!




xoxo Friends
6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
 8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.



2 comments:

  1. I was just talking to a friend tonight about the verse by Paul that you posted. I can attest to living those verses! My head knows better, but my heart just doesn't listen!

    Hope you heard from Lucas! :-) The traveling back and forth is the hardest part---and the most stressful. :-) And you addressed that also!

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, pictures and songs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we have heard from Lucas & he will be getting his visa and purchasing a commercial flight. I'm just waiting to hear when he's supposed to get in to Nashville.

    Thanks again for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete