Wednesday, February 9, 2011

What is Love? Pre-Valentine Thoughts (update)





What is Love?  As I thought of a title for this post, this song came to mind.  It's really more of a joke instead of a love song, but check it out!!!


<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jpN60KKBAjc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>




My drive to work Wednesday morning.



Weather Update:  It started snowing around 10:00 a.m. We got an email that we would dismiss at 1:00.  We are required to call all parents to verify transportation. When I left school at 1:00, I had to knock off about 3 inches of snow off my car.








The roads on Fort Campbell and Oak Grove were awful.  I 24 was slushy and everyone was driving around 55 mph.  As I got closer to my side of town, the roads were clear!!  My Civic saved the day once again!!!










I LOVE MY CAR!!! SHE AVERAGES 40 MPG!!!


I still have to walk the dog even if there's 5" of snow in my yard.








BACK TO THE SUBJECT AT HAND










What is love???? If you look up the word on Wikipedia, you will find this definition:  http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wikipedia

An intense feeling of affection and care towards another person.


















If you are a reader like me, you know you can find out about love in books.  I did a quick search of the top "love stories" and here are a few of the ones that I found.  I listed the ones that I've read and loved.  It's a much quicker process to just do it through the Amazon link.  I LOVED THESE!  :D
Here's a little quiz for you love birds:

Can you match the couple to the novel?? 



1.  Daisy & Gatsby

2.  Mr. Darcy & Elizabeth

3.  Edward & Bella

4.  Romeo & Juliet (hard one!!)

5.  Heathcliff & Catherine


6.  Scarlett & Rhett


7.  Anna & Gilbert





8.  Clare & Henry

9.  Robert & Francesca

10.  Noah & Allie

11.  Meggie & Ralph

12.  Jane & Edward

13.  Claire & James

14.  Landon & Jamie





























































So, how did you do?????




So, I bet a lot of you guys would like some hints on making this Valentine's Day special.......................  Well, I'll do my best to give you a few tips.













Valetine's Day tips:

Good gifts are:
thoughtful
take time,  not $$$ necessarily
creative
special


So, you are probably asking yourself, "What?"














Before you can choose a heart-felt gift, you really need to ask yourself some questions.  What are their interests, hobbies, passions etc.?  What do they spend their free time doing?  What would they like, but wouldn't buy for themselves?






Does that help?  Another idea:  Plan something special.  It can be a home-cooked meal, an evening out, a romantic weekend, but HERE'S THE KEY:  You must plan it all!  Don't give clues, hints or ask questions! (Surprises are even better!)    Plan every detail, she will appreciate it!!  Once you plan it, go with it, own it, and make no apologies!! 





 






I do realize all of this comes from my perspective.   I realize there are some people who hate surprises!










So your loved one likes the traditional Valetine gift, well, okay.................................please put a little extra thought into the gift.  Don't run by Walgreens on the way home on Monday!!!  I know, you don't have to say it, your guilty!!!  That's okay, admitting the problem is the first step in fixing the problem!   :0)








Traditional gifts:
1.  Flowers (if you must, make them special)
As for me, no roses, especially red!!
2.  Chocolate (quality over quantity)
3.  Gift card (I like, but some people prob. hate them!)
4.  Jewelry ($$$$ is nice, if you have the $$$$, otherwise, sweet is nice!)









Do you want to score some brownie points with your lady?  Here's an idea that you probably won't care for, but your honey will love:




Order some "splurge" food and watch romantic movies.  Here's a few that I like and I thought of on short notice.  (Of course, if you refer to the book list, most of those have been made into a movie!)  Here's a few more:










Love Story





Green Card

(I love the scene where he is being deported and he is holding her face in his hands and kissing her!)










Legends of the Fall  (Brad Pitt, before I fell out of love with him!!  haha)




Seven Years in Tibet



You've Got Mail



  Sleepless in Seattle

When Harry Met Sally





Dan in Real Life






Shakespeare in Love







Four Weddings and a Funeral



Breakfast at Tiffany's







I know there's more, but this list should keep you busy for awhile!!!!




Have I answered the question, "What is love?"  No, I don't think I have, but, remember this:  Love is more than a feeling.  It's a verb, in second grade lingo, we call that an action word.  You show love by the way you act and in everything you do.  Let's take a look at the scriptures.......



1 Corinthians 13:4-7
(I got this from my preacher.  Can you fill your name into all of the blanks?)



_____ is patient, ____ is kind. ____does not envy, ____ does not boast, ____ is not proud. _____ is not rude, _____ is not self-seeking, ____ is not easily angered, ____ keeps no record of wrongs. ____ does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. ____always protects, ____ always trusts, ____ always hopes,_____ always perseveres.







I took the word love out.  Are you loving?  It's a tall order, I know that!!!


What is love?  Why do we love???


1 John 4:8  Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. 
Genesis 1:27  So God created mankind in his own image,
   in the image of God he created them;
   male and female he created them.

John 15:13  Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.










My point is this:  Love comes from God.  We love because we are made in God's image.  Also, God showed us his perfect love when he sent his son to Earth to die for our sins.



Last of all, if you really want to score some brownie points, buy this cd and play this song for your honey!!! You can always do a search of love songs, and make a CD of your personal favorites.  If you didn't know this already, you can actually "google" any question you want answered on the internet.  (For example, "Ideas for romantic Valentine gifts")






Bruno Mars-Just the Way You Are

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LjhCEhWiKXk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>


Bruno Mars-Marry You
(This one is fun!)


<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zmmwFHW9IjU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>


Sorry ladies, I don't have any ideas for gifts for the guys! I do think some of the ideas will go both ways.



Thursday update:    My school was canceled!!!  I am so happy that I don't have to worry about fighting with the snow again.  I would love to go workout today, but I won't.






Here's the news for Thursday morning!  If you look closely, you can see the temp. in the corner.  They are reporting that the roads are pretty bad. (even the interstate)  I am thankful that I don't have to get out in it!!






Happy Valentine's Day!
xoxo







































1 comment:

  1. Cute blog! :-) I am glad you are enjoying your day off! I haven't seen some of the movies you posted so I will have to check them out! I also love While You were Sleeping.

    Charlie has never been big on Valentine's Day---he did get two long stem rose bushes once and planted them in front of my living room windows--and they are beautiful. :-)

    Hope your Valentine's Day is a sweet one!

    ReplyDelete