Sunday, May 1, 2011

Money????, Intere$ted???

Are you rich???  Most people in the United States are in the middle class and would say no.  You might ask, "By whose standards?"  You might say, "I'm very blessed."  Let me ask you again (just a few days since taxes were due), "Are you rich?"  I say, I am, you are, 99% of people in America and other developing nations are.  (I'll explain later in the blog.)



Wax Harrison Ford in Vegas (I'm sorry I don't have new pics tonight!)









You may be wondering why I am talking about money.  Well, it's very interesting.  The free website http://www.blogger.com/ where I post my blog, keeps different statistics of the viewers.  I am able to see how many people view particular blogs, I can see which countries they come from.  Any ideas about which post has gotten the most views in the last month???? It's "This Week/Money Worries".

http://earringproject.blogspot.com/2011/04/this-week-money-worries.html



The statistics also include any words that where searched.  "Cartoon money" and "money" were searches that brought people to my site.  (See cartoon above)  I'm always interested and curious about why people from other countries might have found my blog.  Look at this list of the countries where people are viewing  in the past week.


United States
183
United Kingdom
20
Canada
11
Australia
9
Indonesia
7
India
6
Malaysia
6
Netherlands
5
South Africa
3
United Arab Emirates
2


Do you find this as interesting as I do??



Are you rich?  I tell my second graders all of the time that they are rich compared to most of the world.  None of us are hungry, we all have good, comfortable shelter, we have clothing and are able to work.




Here is a song called "Price Tag" that has been playing in my head lately.  I had to preview the video to make sure is was okay.  It's pretty PG, by most standards today.


<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qMxX-QOV9tI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>











Look at these facts that I have on a pair of Tom's shoes:  



I looked really hard for an image of these shoes and couldn't find one.  The information might be the same as the graph below.

If the world were a village of 100 people:
30 would be unemployed
58 would have parasites
14 are illiterate
40 have no shoes
3 are slaves
20 are malnourished
25 have no shelter
43 live on less than $2 a day
1 has AIDS
23 drink polluted water

Well, I notice all of the information is on the graph.  You should see me trying to read my shoes!!  :0)





Now, I ask you, "Are you rich?"  I think when you look at these facts, we can all say that we are rich and we're blessed in many ways.


Honduras countdown:  You can see how many days I have left until Honduras.  (Check the bottom of the blog.)  I have started collecting donation items for my trip.  I have already put a request in my church bulletin. I'm also adding a list of things below.  It's always difficult, because we have so many personal items that we take and then we use the second suitcase for the donated items. 


 I'm really proud of myself.  This year, between saving money and selling my earrings, I have completely paid for my trip.  I'm excited about my next goal: I want to build a house this summer with the money that I make at the Downtown Farmer's Market!!!!  (This begins in a few weeks!  I'll give you more information soon.)  I let my church family know about my goal and I have gotten  $250 in donations today alone!!!! 



Ephesians 3:20

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us,



 http://childrenoftheking.blogspot.com/

If you read the Sunday, April 3 post of the above blog, you will see a complete list of items that we collect to take with us.  As I mentioned, we take the items we collect in our second suitcase.  Getting things to Honduras is very tricky.  Honduras basically doesn't have a reliable postal system.  The group usually ships large things by container, but the deadline is past for that. 


Collection List:
hygiene items: toothpaste, toothbrushes, soap, razors, etc.
shoes
clothing
OTC meds (tylenol, antibiotic ointment, antacids, vitamins, etc.)
small toys (We visit hospitals.)
school supplies
We also collect $$$ for our work fund.  That money is used for food distribution, house builds, dental clinics, Spanish Bibles, etc.



I have many irons in the fire, but it's great to work towards a goal.  I can't quit my day job yet, but I need to start making earrings to get ready for the Farmer's Market that begins May 21st. (I believe)  Maybe I can bargain for a few extra hours in the day!!  lol





Cocoa says hi & we hope you have a great week!! Don't forget next Sunday is Mother's Day.  It has almost snuck on me!  We always have to make things for our mom's in class!


PSS:  I hope the grammar police aren't out tonight.  I feel really off.  Believe it or not, I do reread this many times!! :/

xoxo PJ















No comments:

Post a Comment