Monday, September 26, 2011

Start Something That Matters, Beautiful Ants, $3 Backpacks!!!!

back to the real world

Hi!!  I know it's been a long time. In fact it's been over two weeks.  My last post was from my last day in Ireland.  I sure had a great time and I miss it, but I have to say that everything went smoothly in my absence and the children have been great since I’ve come back.  I have a hodge-podge of things to share with you.


I didn't mention this, but this touched me.  Clarksville recently had a tragedy where many bikers died in a tragic accident.  Sunday, holding a vigil at the funeral home.

I really have a great class and I’m lucky, not all of my co-teachers can say the same.  When you have a great class you are motivated to go above and beyond.  We read a Native American folk tale week before last.  It was entitled, The Strongest One, and it was about ants trying to figure out what was strongest in nature.  I remembered that I had an old ant farm and some years I get ants for the class.  I told the class, ordered ants on-line on Wednesday or Thursday, and believe it or not….. They came in today.  Needless to say, the kids were thrilled.  One little boy says the cutest things.  He said, “Those ants are quite beautiful!”  They  don’t usually last very long, but, I know we will enjoy observing them for several days.  The children have already gotten excited because they have seen some of the ants carrying grains of sand!


my beautiful ants

I’ve just finished  an amazing, inspiring book written by the creator of TOMS shoes, Blake Mycoskie.  I have written about Tom’s in several blogs and I’m the proud owner of  5 pairs of Toms.  If you aren’t familiar with the company, they give a pair of shoes to a needy child for every pair of shoes sold.  In this book, Blake not only shares how Tom’s started, but he also shares the stories of other socially minded companies.  I find it very interesting and a coincidence he started the company the same year that I went on my first trip to Honduras! I  won’t spoil the book for you, but, I think anyone,  (mission-minded or not) will enjoy this book.  I find that many of my experiences with my Honduras work and my $$$ raising with the earringproject have mirrored the things that I read in this book.  If you live near-by, you are welcome to borrow it from me.



Honduras Update:  The Saturday market has kind of slowed down, but a slow day this season was a good day last season.  I have continued to do well, and I’m well on my way for the expenses for 2012.  Maybe, I can build another house!!!!  I have also decided that I’m going to be more organized in my collecting of donations.  Last year, I had so much that I couldn’t take it all.  This year, I’m collecting throughout the year so that I can get things early enough so they can be shipped by container.  I’ve started with collecting school supplies.  Unfortunately, people can get a little “donation jaded” if you get my drift. 

I was in Wal-mart yesterday after church and they I had a cart full of $3 children’s backpacks.  I bought as many as I felt I could affort and immediately posted a message about them on FB via my IPhone.  Just a minute ago, my doorbell rang and one of my neighbors had sent her son over with a bag of backpacks!!!!!  That sure made my day!!!!!  God is good!!  Thank you Tonya!!!!
Cocoa and I were thrilled about these backpacks!!


I am going to leave you with a poem that is attributed to Elisabeth-Anne Anderson Stanley.  It's in the front of Start Something That Matters.

Success

To laugh often and love much
to win the respect of intelligent people
and the affection of children

To earn the appreciation of honest critics
endure the betrayal of false friends

To appreciate beauty
To find the best in others
To leave the world a bit better
whether by a healthy child,
a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition

To know even one life has breathed easier
because you have lived.
This is to have suceeded.

No comments:

Post a Comment