Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The New You & The Help


I know that many of you out there are teachers, have been a teacher or are close to a teacher.  If you aren't a teacher, I know you've been a student and you may currently have a student.  Do you get excited this time of year when you see all of the school supplies???  There's something special about a new box crayons, or a fresh clean piece of paper.  Do you remember how you felt when you bought a new pair of shoes? 






A few Sundays ago, our youth minister had a sermon entitled "The New You".  He started the sermon talking about the joys of new things.  (new cars, new crayons, new computers, new school year)  New things are certainly special.  There's nothing like coloring with a brand new crayon, but pretty soon the newness wears off.  The point is dull and you may even have to peel down the paper.


 In life, we often wish we could have a "do over".  Sometimes we would like a fresh start.  There are many shows and TV where they give someone a makeover.  In life we can have a fresh start or a makeover if you will.  



How can you become the "New You"?  John 3:3-7 explains: Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.[a]

4 “How can someone be born when they are old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother’s womb to be born!”

5 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit[b] gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You[c] must be born again.’



Titus 3:5-7 " he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, 6 whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. "  This scriptures tells us that we are continually reborn through Jesus.  We are a new creation through Him.



Sometimes we misunderstand what it means to be a Christian.  I was baptized when I was 16 and I remember that wonderful feeling when I came out of that water.  I'm pretty sure that I felt like I would have to be perfect to keep that "clean" state.  Well, I'm sure you are not surprised, but, I wasn't perfect.  As I studied and became a more mature Christian, I learned that I can't do it alone and as a Christian who walks in the light Jesus; blood continually cleanses me of  all unrighteousness.  1 John 1:9

1 John 1:5-7 says, "This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

6If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

7But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin."



Update on my life:

School is going well, I seem to have a great class.  My older son has finished is year contract in Afghanistan.  He is now in Kuwait and in a few days my husband and I will meet up with him for a special family vacation.  I've given you a little hint about where it is.  It's getting closer and I'm getting excited!   I will try to keep my blog during the trip!


Last weekend, Nick and I went to see "The Help".  I had read the book last year and LOVED it.  The movie wasn't exactly the same, but they did a great job!!  I would recommend that everyone read the book and see the movie.  It wasn't just a "chick-flick" because Nick loved it too!  You will see a link to the book at the top of the blog, for some reason I'm not able to put it at the bottom.




Pirate Day, Can someone tell me what standard this was???



Another Trip Hint:



Until next time!
xoxoPJ








No comments:

Post a Comment